CSA Cases Are Closing
All existing Child Support Agency cases are being closed. The closure program began on 30.06.14 and is expected to be complete by 2017/18. Parents will receive 6 months notice of their closure date, and will be encouraged to contact CM Options to discuss future maintenance arrangements. Once your CSA is case is closed, you will receive no further payments from CSA. Maintenance will only be payable if you make new arrangements.
The closure program has been carried out in stages, with certain types of case being targetted at a time.
- Segment One: Nil Assessment
- Segment Two: Non Compliance
- Segment Three: Payment with No Enforcement (clerical)
- Segment Four: Payments with Enforcement (non clerical)
- Segment Five: Enforcement
The last group to be moved involve those cases that collect maintenance by way of enforcement, as this will minimise disruption of payments. As there are enforcement measures in place at the time of case closure, the NRP (or Paying Parent) may be subject to a compliance periodto monitor their reliability in payments. This will involve a period of time in which part of the maintenance is paid direct to the Receiving Parent, and the remainder is collected through enforced measures such as a Deduction from Earnings Order.
The closure program will involve a number of notification being issued to parents:
At 6 Months
- Both the parents will receive notification that the existing case will close in 6 months time. A Case Closure date will be stated in this notification. This is the date that maintenance will cease if no new arrangements is in place.
- Parents will need to discuss their options for future child maintenance payments.
- If the parent/parents wish to use the statutory scheme, the applicant will need to contact CM Options for the Gateway Conversation.
- Following the discussion with CMOptions, the applicant may proceed with an application to CMS.. An application fee of £20 is payable.
At 1 Month
- A reminder notice will be sent to both parent reminding them that their case will close within one month.
- This reminder letter will be sent irrespective of action you have taken to continue with future maintenance.
- If parent/parents have not taken action by this point it is crucial that they act now.
Case Closure date
- The CSA case is closed and no further maintenance will be charged or paid out via the Child Support Agency.
- The Receiving Parent is contacted to ask if they wish for any outstanding arrears to be collected, if so this debt is transferred to CMS who will oversee the collection of those arrears.
- If the Receiving Parent does not respond to that request within 30 days, outstanding arrears are automatically transferred to the CMS scheme.