CSA Complaints Procedure

Need to Complain?

We recommend that all complaints are put in writing and sent recorded or registered post. If you want to make a complaint verbally this is fine but we would encourage you to then confirm the details in writing.

For stages 1, 2, 3 and 4 you should receive a response within 15 working days. Involving your MP can also help to secure a timely response.

If you are not happy with the response from each stage of complaint, you should escalate the matter to the next level. You will need to send a covering letter stating why you feel the previous stage had not provided a satisfactory response and enclose a copy of your original complaint letters.

Try to focus on the complaint. It can be an emotional time, but try to be concise and avoid distracting the nature of your complaint by lengthy emotional content.


STAGE 1 – Raise the complaint to your own case worker, at the centre dealing with your case.

STAGE 2 – Write to Complaints Resolution Team at the CSA Centre dealing with your case.

STAGE 3 – Write to Client Services Director, details of latest Director and contact details can be found here: CSA Addresses

STAGE 4 – Write to Chief Executive, details of latest Chief Executive and their contact details can be found on our CSA Addresses page.

STAGE 5 – If you have exhausted all the above options then you can contact Independent Case Examiner (ICE).  ICE will investigate the issues you have raised. This is an independent review and as the reports are comprehensive it can take many months for an outcome.

STAGE 6 – If you are still not happy and ICE have not concluded matters to a satisfactory outcome, you can contact the Parliamentary Ombudsman. Parliamentary Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP. At this stage, you will require the assistance of your MP, as it is only he/she that can refer your complaint to Parliamentary Ombudsman.

 Although payments are not large, you should also consider if a Special Payment is appropriate, details of which can be found in the DWP Financial Redress and Special Payments Guide.